Monday, December 26, 2011

Africa Trip - finally :)

So - I preface this post with this warning: if you're reading this hoping for an extensive story about my Africa trip, you will be disappointed. That post would probably be about 20 pages long or more. This will cover the highlights although it is still pretty long. :)

My parents were out of town when I left for Africa, which was kind of a bummer, but my sweet friend, Sara took me to the airport. Let me tell you, friends - I was full of anticipation...and nerves. It was my first time overseas and I had no idea what to expect. Especially when everyone tells you to expect a lot of culture shock.

Our group probably spent a whole day and then some traveling. We flew into Accra (south), spent the day, then woke up the next morning to fly to Tamale (north) which was followed by a 2+ hour drive to Yendi (northeast).

A map for reference:

I was so thrilled for this trip because I just knew something big was going to happen. I had some high expectations - of what? I'm still not sure. I mean it seemed perfectly logical that if literal miracles happened in getting me the money in month to get to Africa, then the Lord had some big plan.

So before I get into the highlights, I walked away from my Africa trip extremely discouraged. Discouraged in myself and discouraged with Jesus. Maybe I went in with the expectation that my life's purpose would be found in mission work in helping others. Like I said, I'm still not sure.

This trip was an extremely difficult trip - it was intense. I knew it would be a lot of work from the beginning, but I was not prepared for it. I had not anticipated how taxing it would be. And, honestly, had I known from the beginning how rough it would be, I can't say I would have signed on for it. I probably would have picked a less stressful trip.

With all that said, Videre, the organization I went with, does wonderful things and I highly recommend that you support them. It strengthens communities through business and uses local Christians and their business to share about Jesus. It is led tirelessly (or so it seems) by ONE woman. Crazy, I know.

I went with the phase 2 group - our goal was to learn about the participants business, help them create a business plan and determine whether their business is viable. I have zero business background - I've worked for a company and understands at a basic level how it works, but I don't have a business degree. I don't have a full grasp of accounting.

Needless to say, I felt very...inept. Most of the people I went with had business, accounting or marketing degrees or experience. I got my degree in Communications - I can write a killer press release. Not really going to help a community that's partially illiterate. I wasn't terribly confident about how this would go down.

We get to Yendi after 24 hours of traveling and I'm tired and haven't slept.  We go to church once we got into town, which was awesome to be in a room with other believers half way across the world. But, it was my first true experience in feeling completely uncomfortable. I didn't understand anything and couldn't really participate, but our group had eyes on us everywhere we went. Not for any other reason than - we stood out in a BIG way. For seven days we would be called "salminga" aka white person. :)

On Monday we spent the morning going around and visiting some of the businesses we would be working with. The afternoon was spent meeting the participants and beginning to get the details of their business. I had two ladies - Laddi and Sana. Laddi sold pork and was my translator for Sana sold Shea butter.


Laddi, me, Sana


Even though Laddi spoke English, it was still difficult to communicate some times. I never thought it could be challenging working with a translator, but man it is. And you hope you love your translator (I definitely did).

We spent three and a half days working on business plans. In theory this sounded so much easier than it was. It required getting numbers and putting together 3 year projections (thankfully a handy excel tool helped). But, it was no easy task - I just thought it was get the numbers and put them in. Not quite. I have an appreciation for the lady who goes often to work on this. It's not easy. Most mornings I was up by 6, we would work all day and all night and I was lucky if I was in bed by 1.

During this process - I struggled. Some days, I felt like I was the only one who didn't get it (wasn't the case, but still how I felt).  When I had exhausted my brain working on a business plan, I'd go back to my room and pray. And all the while I felt that He was purposely distant. I'd cry out and hear nothing in return.

Thursday was our day to head out to the villages. This was an experience - this was a TRUE Ghana experience. It is how most live. We were in a nice building that had an AC unit in our rooms - a luxury. But, most of the people we worked with were out in huts - no exaggeration.

We broke up into two groups - my group went to Tusani. It just so happened that Sana, my participant, lived in that village. When you head out to a village, you HAVE to meet the chief. And, it's not just like walking into a village and someone takes you to his hut. No, you have to go through a number of people who are like his entourage. They all have to approve you to move on to the next person until finally you get to see the chief.

Our chief was a broken old man who drank too much - probably to cope with the demons.  He was the guy that people would pay and bring animals to so he could slaughter them to whichever god they preferred. Creepy.

After meeting him, we headed back to eat and fellowship with the locals. We had one translator which made this challenging, but he was awesome....and fearless. (Later we find out that the guy we stayed with used to be the pastor, but due to his alcohol problem he was removed.)

Following dinner, we set up outside one of the homes with the audio Bible and maybe 50+ people came to listen to the Word. There were TONS of children and I just prayed that their lives would be impacted.

We listened to John 1-3 and after each chapter spent time talking with them about it. After listening, we asked if people needed to be healed. And many came up for prayer. We saw many people healed, which was crazy and awesome. Their faith is humbling.

The next morning the chief's entourage joined us to ask how we were being treated, etc. We asked them if they would like to listen to the Bible with us and they agreed. This was a village that was strongly Muslim and had a strong idol presence as well. Sharing the Gospel could have been a risky thing, but we were completely protected by the Lord.

The entourage listened to John 4 with us and we began asking questions. We prodded to the point where one of our group members, John, asked them to burn their idols. Wow. A moment of fear pierced by heart, since we have to receive permission to leave the village. However, the group just laughed and said it would be dangerous. We spent more time with the locals, saw more healings and saw many come to know Jesus. It was powerful.

Our group left the village and headed back to Tamale. We were on our way home. We chatted with the other group who also had tons of awesome stories. It was so great to hear what the Lord had done.

So, why did I and still feel discouraged? The Lord moved in a lot of ways. He was faithful to bring healing to people that might never have known it. Yet, I left feeling like He met all of these people there and never met me. Maybe that's extremely selfish thinking - but I came back feeling largely unchanged. Perhaps that's the fault in my thinking? Expecting change. Maybe it just hasn't manifested yet. There was, without a doubt, a purpose in me going to Africa - but I guess my vision is just so cloudy I can't see what that is.

If nothing else, we are called to go out to the nations and share about Jesus. It's not really an optional thing for Christians - we are told to do it. I came back to America discontent. We live in a world where we are at such a disadvantage spiritually. It's so funny how what seems normal here really isn't in the rest of the world. We have so much, yet always seek out more. More money, more power, more things, a better house, a better car, a better job, a new toy. We fill up our time and energy with so much because most people don't want to sit still and realize it's all empty. I've realized there is nothing nobel in amassing a fortune, only to keep it to yourself. I'm not suggesting you go broke, but money brings about nothing good in America except the desire for more. There was such a beauty in the simplicity of their lives in Africa. I prefer a life with a toilet mind you - but to be disconnected in a way that you're fully connected with those around you. I don't want my life to look like everyone else's. I want and hope that I leave a genuine mark on people's lives.

Africa team: Iris, Fidelis, Me, Michelle, John, Edward, Jason, and Mark




Random kids being hilarious and adorable!






 Team members and their groups


My room

No comments:

Post a Comment